- Smith’s Market has been at the same location since it first opened in 1933.
- It started as Smith’s Fruit Market, a small retail operation founded by Henry Smith.
- Laverne Burns, husband of Henry’s daughter Mary, bought the store in the late 1940s.
- Another of Henry’s son-in-laws, Bill Wright (married to Emmaday), purchased the store in the early 1950s.
- Earl Barnes, who later would become owner of Smith’s Market, began working at the store in 1957.
- In 1961, the store was expanded -- doubling its size.
- Earl and Irene Barnes -- along with another of Henry Smith’s daughters, June, and her husband Layton Burns -- bought the store in 1965.
- Layton Burns retired in 1985 and Earl Barnes became sole owner. That same year the Barnes’ son, Chris, joined the
- Chris and Gail Barnes purchased Smith‘s Market in 2005.
- In 2007 Smith’s Market was expanded to its current size -- now 3 times larger than the original store